Custom Search

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sushi in Chinatown

So after kung fu class on Tuesday, I was naturally hungry and wanted something light. I grabbed a friend and tried to figure out where to go. I originally wanted sushi at Kyotoya in Stoneham, but it was nearly 9:30PM, and they close at 10PM. Same goes for the pricier Chung Ki Wa in Medford. After a while of deliberating where we could go alternatively, I decided that I still wanted sushi and that we should just go to Chinatown. I knew the Korean restaurant, Apollo, on Harrison St. opens pretty late so we head towards there. The sushi is pretty decent there, but I don't like the atmosphere. It looks like a restaurant that was just left to deteriorate from it's probably once nice opening.

After I parked, the atmosphere thing was kinda getting to me, so we decided to walk to this place that I always walk by, Suishaya Restaurant on Tyler St. We got there and notice no menu put up. I was thinking, "Boy, must be an expensive place or something." I started thinking maybe we should shell up some extra money and go to Ginza instead, but my friend persuaded me to go in and look at the menu. It turned out it wasn't bad at all and we went in and sat down.

Right away, I noticed the staff was speaking Chinese, but it wasn't a surprise. I don't think there's a sushi place in Chinatown that's run by anybody but Chinese people. Anyway, Suishaya apparently has these great "Midnight" specials starting at 10PM from Sundays through Thursdays. I wound up ordering two combos from the specials for about $24.00 (22 pieces total). My friend ordered a bento box type of meal from the kitchen menu, chicken bulgogi or something like that. Anyhoot, the experience was overall pretty good. I was a little scared when the miso soup came out lukewarm, but the sushi was better than what I would've gotten at Apollo and Kyotoya. The chicken bulgogi was excellent. It was definitely a "find" for us as we now know where to go if we wanted Japanese/Korean food after 10PM. In total, we spent $33 plus tips, which is pretty good at a Korean restaurant. I was stuffed!

So go check it out next time you're in Chinatown - Boston.

No comments: