Custom Search

Friday, May 16, 2008

Skipping class

So I haven't been to kung fu class since May 6. It's a great class and all, but the schedule is not that hot. Classes on Tuesday and Fridays start at 7:15 and go to 8:30, although we usually get out at 8:45 and I don't really get into my car until almost five of nine. And Fridays? C'mon, do you really think I'll go to class on Fridays? Then the last class of the week (or the first) is on Sunday from 1:00PM to 2:15PM. By the time I go home and shower to "start" my day, it's 3PM. Not a great "morning" workout you see. So on a good week I'll make two classes a week, but I'm mostly making one class a week. At the monthly rate I'm paying, the classes are at quite a premium.

If you look back at a previous post, I picked kung fu over aikido in terms of martial arts for its fitness benefits. I'm developing a lot of flexibility and muscle endurance, but there's really not as much practical uses as aikido. And since I'm not that excited about sticking to a not so ideal schedule, I've been thinking a lot about joining a gym again. I figure I can go anytime, and my experiences in kung fu gives me a little more perspective in how I should train my body. I think about it some more, but every time before each class I'm just not thrilled to go. I feel great afterwards, but there's always this initial resistance I need to overcome to get to class. Whereas when I was at the YMCA, I was just geared to go each time. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: