Custom Search

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

$10/month? Hmm...

So I didn't make it to the Y yesterday as I planned. Instead, a friend convinced me to check out the Planet Fitness in town. I went in and was blown away by the amount of cardio machines. We took a quick tour, and I was impressed by what was there. They supposedly do not cater to "meatheads" (they said it, not me) or bodybuilders, so they have a "lunk alarm" if anybody grunts or passes judgment. If you have the lunk alarm sounded on you twice or something like that, they revoke your membership.

Overall, the place was nice. Cardio machines with a TV on each one out front. Weight machines in the back in the not-so-pretty purple and yellow Planet Fitness scheme. Free weights on the side wall. There's even a 30-minute workout section equipment with a selection of machines, steps, and a red and green light to tell you when to start and stop. Pretty cool. They don't have as much stuff as the YMCA (track, courts, swimming pool, sauna, classes), but I didn't really use anything more than the cardio and weight machines when I was a Y member anyway. Besides, $10/month sounds pretty cool. They do have a black card membership for $19.99/month, but the extra privileges plus the 12-month commitment is not selling me.

So, I'm going to think it over, then I'll make a decision. I still want to learn to swim, but I don't have to be a member at the Y to take that class.

No comments: