Custom Search

Monday, February 16, 2009

It's official, my shoulder's busted again.

So I think it's safe to say that my right shoulder is busted. I tried doing some lateral raises to test my shoulder integrity, and it's not there. I've tried lying to myself by saying it was "tweaked", but I must've pulled a muscle deep in my shoulder. I'm suspecting rotator cuff, but whatever it is, it's not major muscle I can feel, but it plays a major part in supporting my other muscles during other workouts. I can feel it ache a bit during pushups. I feel it when I apply lotion to my back. I feel it when I lift my arm a certain way.

The only thing I can do is let it rest. I've tried lightly stretching the affected area, but I can seem to quite locate a stretch that hits that area. I've tried shoulder stretches, upper body stretches, biceps and triceps stretches. Can't seem to get it. So I'm going to let it rest. Then slowly strengthen it again by dropping my weights to 10-15lb each. Meanwhile, I'm going to find exercises that doesn't require any shoulder rotation. I'm going to start isometric exercises again. I did those a lot during my days in Aikido during college. They work, but you really need to concentrate, and you get what you put in. When the shoulder gets better, I really need to focus on getting into a routine workout regimen. I'm thinking I've been too lax and I tweaked it doing something as mundane as shadow boxing. Phooey. Here's last week's breakdown:

Monday: Squats (40)
Tuesday: Calf raises (90)
Wednesday: Lunges (20 each), neutral grip pullups (10)
Thursday: Hammer curls (10), biceps curls (10), calf raises (90), pushups (40)
Friday: Iaido cuts (150), lateral raises (10), hammer curls (10, 10), biceps curls (10, 10)
Saturday: Pushups (40 on knees)
Sunday: Various isometric exercises (160 total), roundhouse kicks (10 each, low and medium height), side kicks (10 each, low and medium height)

Last weigh-in:
180.0 lb

No comments: