Custom Search

Thursday, August 7, 2008

HP actually called me

Believe it or not, I got a message from a Hewlett-Packard (her words) representative. She was calling from the Executive support area. I called her back with the order # she gave and she transferred me to a Case Manager. After speaking with him for a bit, he ordered a stick of 512MB RAM and asked if I needed anything else. I told him that I want my laptop looked at again as it decides when it wants to boot. I told him it appeared to not boot when it's plugged in. He arranged that and gave me his contact info. I expressed my concerns about the system being out of warranty, but he assured me that he will keep repairing it until it is fixed for no charge.

So far, this emailing the CEO thing was a good idea. Not to speak ill about off-shoring resources, but it was nice to speak to a representative that sounded like he was in the United States. Customer support is very important to consumers and I hope manufacturers in general understand this and stop off-shoring or outsourcing customer/technical support. As I've said earlier, Googling "HP Sucks" shows you how many people would not buy HP because of horrible customer/technical support.

Speaking of calling technical support, Woot.com was selling an HP Compaq laptop today. Clicking on the comments showed how many people are not pleased with HP/Compaq support. One of the posters even stated that systems shipped to retailers are considered "disposable" and support for these machines are directed to off-shore resources. For HP, you can tell when they have you call 1-800-HP INVENT. The poster goes on to say that the commercial systems have in-state support, as commercial systems are usually for businesses and manufacturers cannot afford to lose any business because support drove them away. I'm not sure if what the poster said is true, but it does make sense. If I were to piss someone off, I rather piss off one lonely guy than a guy or corporation that purchases in bulk. But it would make even more business sense to not piss anyone off at all!

Anyway, let's see where this next step goes. I just want my computer to work like it did when I bought it one short year ago. And yes, it was on sale when I bought it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My situation is very similar to your experience with hp. I purchased a pavilion dv2415nr notebook last summer in preparation for college. Halfway through the year, my computer decided not to boot up anymore just like yours and so I sent it into service. I had the same support experience, where I was speaking with representatives that didn't know anything about computers and were obviously working from a script who were not familiar at all with problems that were not dictated to them by their script. I also received my computer back in a condition where it still could not start and I sent it in again to be fixed and it was finally then returned to me in working condition. However, this whole experience occurred for me again this May and also today. This afternoon I tried to turn on my computer and it now fails to turn on. I am very upset with HP and am wondering how you contacted hp to receive your treatment from the executive support area. I feel hp has designed a defective product and I am very unimpressed with their level of support and treatment of their customers. Unlike you I will be requesting a full refund for the defective product and would be very pleased if you contacted me concerning your efforts with hp. My email is kao.derrick@ymail.com, I look forward to hearing from you