Custom Search

Friday, June 6, 2008

Dim Sum and sushi

Two nights ago, I met up with a couple of friends after work for some fresh dim sum at Gitlo's Dim Sum Bakery. I have heard of recommendations from family and friends, but I had yet to try it out. There weren't a lot of people when we got there, so we got seated right away. Menu was all in English with less than 50 offerings. We ordered several dishes and waited patiently for our food.

The wait was a bit long, but they make their dim sum fresh on site. When they sell out of a certain item, that's it for the day. The dim sum arrived at the fresh from the kitchen and not steaming from a push cart as I was used to at dim sum restaurants. Let me tell you, the wait was worth it. There were some interesting twists to certain "traditional" dim sum. From seaweed shumai to fried daikon cake, everything we had was mouthwatering and delicious. Prices were decent as well!

I couldn't really fill up on dim sum, but through no fault of Gitlo's. I had been having a lot of "heavy" food lately and craved some sushi. So as one friend went home, I went to Kotobukiya at Porter Square (I had to pick up some stuff in the area anyway) for some economical sushi. I've been going to this place since high school, and quality can be inconsistent, but that night it was good. We got in a little bit before closing right between customers, so our sushi arrived minutes after we ordered. Not sure if it was because they were not busy, but it was the sushi I remembered from high school. Good quality with a low price. I had some nigiri and three types of makis, and they were all pretty good. Kotobukiya is setup as a sushi bar, so you just go over and sit down and they take care of you. Great place if you're in the area and you don't want to pay big bucks for fresh sushi.

No comments: